Apache Tomcat / Tomcat based apps

Hello,

A few weeks back I posted a message asking for some direction on contributing to Cygwin by maintaining Apache Tomcat and a few other tomcat based applications. A few people responded and suggested that I look at gcj as the possible compiler to use as it is already in Cygwin.

I have spent the last few weeks trying to get this to work with no success. I would like to find out if it is possible to create a dependency in a package on the sun java sdk. For example the default install of Java 1.5 from Sun uses a home directory of: "/cygdrive/c/Program\ Files/Java/jdk1.5.0_06" , so keying on the presence of that directory is a good bet Java is installed with the correct version.

Suggestions? Comments?

Thanks,
-Chris