This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: [ITP] perl-5.8.8
- From: Reini Urban <rurban at x-ray dot at>
- To: cygwin-apps at cygwin dot com
- Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2007 19:06:46 +0200
- Subject: Re: [ITP] perl-5.8.8
- References: <46788FF2.firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com> <467AC247.firstname.lastname@example.org> <20070628072338.GQ7379@calimero.vinschen.de> <46840CC7.email@example.com> <20070702101906.GZ30973@calimero.vinschen.de>
Corinna Vinschen schrieb:
On Jun 28 21:32, Reini Urban wrote:
Corinna Vinschen schrieb:
On Jun 21 20:24, Reini Urban wrote:
Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes schrieb:
On Tue, June 19, 2007 7:24 pm, Reini Urban wrote:
I want to it take over from Gerrit.
Thank you so much. If it were up to me, you'd get three gold stars.
Please try to test it. It's a really weird build system.
But I'm quite happy with this 5.8.8
We had a routing problem this day. Please try again.
I'm just looking for the packaging itself. I'm not a perl programmer,
so I assume you're looking for creating a actually *working* perl
Hmm, that's bad. Feedback from an actual perl programmer would be better.
Ok, that's what looks not quite ok to me:
- Your package pollutes the /usr/bin directory with two versions of
*almost* every tool in the perl package, foo, foo5.8.8, bar, bar5.8.8,
etc. The former 5.8.7 package only created a perl5.8.8 parallel to
the perl exe, but all other binaries were only available without
versioning, same as in the Linux distros I have my hands on, btw.
This is intended and current practice for perl developers with a lot of
different perl versions around to test their libraries against.
perl-5.8.7 didn't have the versioned binaries and scripts, but with 5.10
being very near I wanted to give the opportunity to test with parallel
The big thing is only cygperl5_8.dll (only one) and a2p, the rest is small.
cpan5.8.8 installs into different paths than cpan5.9.5.
perldoc == perldoc5.8.8 displays the stable doc, while perldoc5.9.5
displays the current doc, which is different.
prove5.8.8 tests stable, prove5.9.5 tests "blead" (the current perl).
Almost, because there are two variances:
- ld2, perlld, ptar and ptardiff only exist in the non-versioned style.
Yes, that's ok. ld2 and perlld intentionally. And ptar, ptardiff due to
an upstream bug. Hmm.
- psed and pstruct only exist in the versioned style.
Hmm. Strange upstream installer. A bug, but not important.
- ld2 is not available in the perl package for Linux. Is that
binary actually for public consumption?
Yes, ld2 is the windows-only ld wrapper.
- The directory /usr/lib/perl5/5.8/auto, present in 5.8.7, is missing.
Oops! POSIX/SigAction/*.al are needed!
A packaging bug. No .packlist picked them up.
Everything else looks ok to me.
Please wait for -2.