Re: Emacs is coming back - please test

According to Steffen Sledz on 7/8/2007 4:23 PM:
> Here are the results of my first try to build official emacs packages of
> version 22.1. Because this is my first work as a maintainer it is marked
> as experimental. It would be nice if someone could check them and give
> me some feedback.

I will be trying them out this week.  But first, a suggestion.

Currently, emacs and emacs-X11 both provide /usr/bin/emacs.exe.  Which
means whichever package is installed last wins.  I would much rather that
you used the 'alternatives' package, and instead of directly providing
/usr/bin/emacs.exe, instead provide two differently-named binaries, and
use the postinstall script to install symlinked alternatives where the X11
version has a higher default priority, but where the user can use the
alternatives package to choose which of the two they prefer.  Then,
upgrading just the emacs package won't wipe out the emacs-X11 package
(which has happened to me in the past).  See autoconf for an example of
how the alternatives package can let you install symlinks to alternative
versions, so that competing packages don't install to the same filename.

- --

Eric Blake
Version: GnuPG v1.4.5 (Cygwin)
Comment: Public key at