Re: [ITA] cppunit 1.10.2 - A C++ unit testing framework (REVISED)

Brian Dessent wrote On 10/23/2007 2:28 AM -0800:
> Dave Korn wrote:
>
>>   The am-wrapper script is the one that tries to deduce and reuse the original
>> version used to first build the file, IIUIC.
>
> I'm pretty sure that's not what's going on here; you'd see the same
> thing without alternatives or am-wrapper.sh because automake encodes the
> version number used to build the generated Makefile.in and then directly
> invokes that version as automake-n.n, bypassing all of the above.

Brian,

Yes, that is my experience.

> However, when you re-run autoreconf --force --verbose --install it is
> supposed to regenerate everything using the latest version, which means
> this embedded automake-1.9 reference should .

I ran "autoreconf --force --verbose --install" as you suggested, and it runs fine (see below), but the aclocal.m4/Makefile.in files
still say they have been generated by automake-1.9, though I don't get the fatal error I get when the same command is run from
inside the .cygport file. './configure && make' works fine as well.

> I'm not sure why in Ross'
> case it's still trying to call automake-1.9 whereas in David's case it's
> not,

In a following email, David confirmed his system is running automake-1.9 as well.

> but Ross also mentioned that he'd edited the cygport file to remove
> the autoreconf line which is definitely wrong -- running autoreconf is
> what should remove this dependency on the older version.  Ross: try just
> unpacking the source tarball into a directory and running "autoreconf
> --force --verbose --install" there.  If that doesn't work then we need
> to investigate why, outside of the context of cygport.

I'm stumped as well. One would assume that the '--force' switch would regenerate the files using the latest autotools version, but
alas, that does not appear to be the case.

I'm thinking it's system related, so before going any further, I'm going to try running the cygport command inside VMWare in a
pristine XP SP2 installation. I'll let you know the results.

Thanks for all of the support and encouragement,

-Ross

$ autoreconf --force --verbose --install
autoreconf-2.61: Entering directory `.'
autoreconf-2.61: configure.in: not using Gettext
autoreconf-2.61: running: aclocal --force -I config
config/bb_enable_doxygen.m4:1: warning: underquoted definition of BB_ENABLE_DOXYGEN
  run info '(automake)Extending aclocal'
  or see http://sources.redhat.com/automake/automake.html#Extending-aclocal
/usr/share/aclocal/pstoedit.m4:7: warning: underquoted definition of AM_PATH_PSTOEDIT
/usr/share/aclocal/libsmi.m4:8: warning: underquoted definition of AM_PATH_LIBSMI
/usr/share/aclocal/libmcrypt.m4:17: warning: underquoted definition of AM_PATH_LIBMCRYPT
autoreconf-2.61: configure.in: tracing
autoreconf-2.61: running: libtoolize --copy --force
Putting files in AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR, `config'.
config/bb_enable_doxygen.m4:1: warning: underquoted definition of BB_ENABLE_DOXYGEN
  run info '(automake)Extending aclocal'
  or see http://sources.redhat.com/automake/automake.html#Extending-aclocal
/usr/share/aclocal/pstoedit.m4:7: warning: underquoted definition of AM_PATH_PSTOEDIT
/usr/share/aclocal/libsmi.m4:8: warning: underquoted definition of AM_PATH_LIBSMI
/usr/share/aclocal/libmcrypt.m4:17: warning: underquoted definition of AM_PATH_LIBMCRYPT
autoreconf-2.61: running: /usr/bin/autoconf-2.61 --force
autoreconf-2.61: running: /usr/bin/autoheader-2.61 --force
autoreconf-2.61: running: automake --add-missing --copy --force-missing
doc/Makefile.am:18: htmldir was already defined in condition TRUE, which includes condition DOC ...
configure.in:2: ... `htmldir' previously defined here
autoreconf-2.61: Leaving directory `.'