This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: [Packaging errors] util-linux-2.13.1-1
- From: Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin at cygwin dot com>
- To: cygwin-apps at cygwin dot com
- Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 10:56:02 +0100
- Subject: Re: [Packaging errors] util-linux-2.13.1-1
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org> <47B7E155.email@example.com>
- Reply-to: cygwin-apps at cygwin dot com
On Feb 17 01:25, Yaakov (Cygwin Ports) wrote:
> Dr. Volker Zell wrote:
> | last conflicts with last from sysvinit-2.84-4
> This makes sense, but removing it from util-linux will require a
> simultaneous rename of -4 to -5, otherwise /usr/bin/last will go missing
sysvinit has no maintainer for ages. We should just pull it from the
distro if we don't find a maintainer this week. We can replace it with
an empty package which has util-linux as dependency.
> | logger conflicts with logger from inetutils-1.3.2-37
> Looking into this, Debian, Ubuntu, and LFS defer /usr/bin/logger to
> util-linux. Also, inetutils-1.3 is ANCIENT, but I understand that there
> are probably a lot of cygwin-specific patches involved. Any input from
> the inetutils maintainer? (Corinna?)
I won't update inetutils anymore, except for tiny fixes and packaging
stuff. Actually I'd rather OBSOLETE it entirely. syslogd is replaced
by syslog-ng and all other tools in inetutils are security holes all in
itself. Barring that, I could create a new inetutils package which
doesn't install logger. Logger has not even a single Cygwin specific
patch in it.
So, here's the choice:
1. Remove logger from inetutils.
2. Remove inetutils from the distro.
3. Another maintainer creates a new inetutils package using the latest
Corinna Vinschen Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to
Cygwin Project Co-Leader cygwin AT cygwin DOT com