Re: [HEADSUP] Let's start a Cygwin 1.7 release area

On Apr  8 16:27, Brian Dessent wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>
> > Sorry, but I didn't remember that.  Why didn't you just tell us?
>
> I thought we were talking about two different things.
>
> As I see it, here are the *conceptual* things we're dealing with:
>
> A) We want to have a tree of packages that is still usable for users of
> 9x/ME after 1.7 is released, even if it's not updated often or at all.
> Since setup can determine this at runtime, it can simply decide to fetch
> a different .ini.
>
> B) We want to have a playground where maintainers and advanced users can
> try out 1.7 and packages built against 1.7, in preparation for the
> release.
>
> C) During that prep period (i.e. right now) we want the "standard" 1.5
> tree to remain and be the default for users.
>
> Now, having written that it appears that (A) and (C) are really the same
> thing.  So maybe we only actually have two things: the current tree
> which will get renamed to _legacy after 1.7 is released, and a new
> playground which will be promoted to the standard "release" tree when
> 1.7 is ready and tested.

That matches it.

> So it appears this is what we want:
>
> For right now/temporary:
>
>  - "standard" setup.exe grabs setup.ini/bz2 for both 9x/ME and NT (i.e.
> no version checking code)
>  - "advanced user/maintainer" setup.exe grabs setup-1.7.ini/bz2
> unconditionally which will be a new tree we create, which contains
> packages built against 1.7
>
> At point of 1.7 release:
>
>  - rename setup.ini to setup_legazy.ini
>  - rename setup-1.7.init to setup.ini
>  - release new setup.exe that replaces both of the above, with 9x/ME
> check enabled (back to one version of setup.exe)
>
> Sound about right?

Yes.  I'm just wondering if we could do without the final rename of the
directories.  The Cygwin release area isn't that small, > 4 Gigs.  A
simple top-level directory rename will force all mirrors world-wide to
copy the whole area.  Twice, because we will have two release areas.

If that's a minor concern, we do as above.  Otherwise, I'd suggest to
create a "release-2" area and to update just setup.exe accordingly.

> And yes, it's rather trivial to release a new setup.exe with the ini
> name tweaked, so once we decide on that I can upload such to the
> website.

Thanks,

Red Hat