Re: coreutils-6.11-1 in release-2 area

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 07:45:40PM -0600, Eric Blake wrote:
> According to Corinna Vinschen on 5/22/2008 2:41 PM:
> |> It will export it but, in my testing, it won't use it.
>
> Actually, it will.  Build cygwin1.dbg, then 'gdb cygwin1.dll',
> 'disassemble strchr', and you will see my implementation

Well, cygwin1.dll exports it.  So of course you will *see* it in
cygwin1.dll.

However, I misinterpreted the disassembly of one of the object files
that I looked at where I thought that strchr had been inlined.  I had
to actually look at a linked version of cygwin0.dll to see the call.

I guess we'll see if the effects of a subroutine call and probable
non-cache locality are going to outweigh any performance improvement.

I'm still not thrilled about tweaking these functions given the "It's
2008 and someone has already done this so why reinvent it again?"
concept.

cgf