Re: please add a find-the-fastest-mirror-automatically feature to setup.exe

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 6:33 PM, Buchbinder, Barry
<BBuchbinder@niaid.nih.gov> wrote:
[...]
> [...] it seems to me [...] that the benefit:work ratio is high compared to some other
> improvements to setup.

I am a programmer and that seems sensible and correct to me.

> If one finds a mirror too slow, one can always
> look on the list of mirrors <http://cygwin.com/mirrors.html>, pick a few
> that seem geographically close*, and time them with ping.  Better yet,
> just try a few and see which works best.
[...]
> Now the above is not to dismiss your concerns.  Obviously, this is an
> issue for you.
[...]
> However, having read various cygwin lists for years,
> this is the first time I can remember that someone has asked for this
> feature.  Most setup requests have to do with user interface.  Most
> mirror complaints are about staleness or disappearances.

It actually wasn't an issue for me.  I am at University of Ottawa and
things are very fast.  A full download of every Cygwin package (to
burn to DVD) took about half an hour.  I tried 2 different servers and
found that the 2nd was fast.  I subscribed to list to complain about a
UI issue.  I just made the suggestion about the find-fastest-mirror
idea because I was already subscribed and to help others.  (I know
that some people won't bother finding the fastest mirror themselves.
So they may waste half an hour extra waiting for a full download of
Cygwin because they did not bother.  I want to save time for those
people. :) )