Re: GCC4 status.

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>   /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-cygwin/4.3.2/../../../../i686-pc-cygwin/bin/ld:
>   warning: auto-importing has been activated without --enable-auto-import
>   specified on the command line.
>   This should work unless it involves constant data structures referencing
>   symbols from auto-imported DLLs.
>
>   *Sob*  Yes, officer, I confess everything!  But *please* don't tell
>   me this every time I dare to link an application.
>
> Is there any chance to get rid of this really useless stuff upstream?

This is a binutils, not gcc, issue (unless you just want gcc's specs
file to automatically pass the option to ld.  But then, how does Bruno
turn it off, as he does, for gettext and libintl?  ld would see both
--enable (from specs) and --disable (from Bruno's cmdline -- but do we
guarantee which order specs-derived and cmdline-derived options are
delivered to ld?).  I think it's better to change cygwin-ld's default
behavior than to try to work around the warning in gcc's specs file.

Now, ld for pe[i]-386 already (as of 2008/11/24) defaults to
--enable-runtime-pseudo-reloc-v1.
http://sourceware.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/src/ld/emultempl/pe.em.diff?r1=1.137&r2=1.138&cvsroot=src&f=h

This doesn't make much sense unless we also default to
--enable-auto-import, which is a one-line change to the same file at
line 148:

-link_info.pei386_auto_import = -1;
+link_info.pei386_auto_import = 1; /* default to enabled */

There might be pushback from other pe platforms, but changing the
default behavior for cygwin is in cgf's court.

--
Chuck