Re: PING MAINTAINERS of ccache, distcc, ocaml: [was Re: [1.7] gcc-3.4.4-3 gets reinstalled every time I run setup]

Eric Blake wrote:
> According to Christopher Faylor on 3/30/2009 7:47 PM:
>> I've made the change but I wonder if I should just remove ccache from
>> the distro.  I have never heard that anyone is using it.
>
> I use it in some of my build trees, although I have never really measured
> how much (if any) difference it makes.

  I deployed it - specifically, the Cygwin distro version - at my last job to
speed up our builds.  (The benefits are particularly noticeable for C++; you
need a much larger source file for plain C to really notice the difference
than you do in C++, because compilation of plain C is so much faster that it
becomes comparable to the overheads of preprocessing the file in a separate
step and fetching the related object from the cache.)

    cheers,
      DaveK