Emacs maintainer

I would like to tentatively volunteer to take over as emacs maintainer, or at least to share the job with Steffen Sledz if that's feasible. Steffen essentially asked for someone to do this (http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2009-02/msg00354.html), because he has had problems with rsync that have prevented him from using cygport to build new packages.

My qualifications are minimal. For about 6 months I have been using versions of emacs that I've built myself and installed in /usr/local. I did this first for emacs 22 and then emacs 23 (which is still undergoing pre-release testing), and my builds work fine. Yesterday I decided to see if I could use cygport to build "official" cygwin versions of the emacs, emacs-el, and emacs-X11 packages, based on emacs 23.0.92. The build worked, and I've installed the packages on my system. They appear to be OK, but I want to test them further.

Unfortunately, I have no programming or debugging skills, so I might not be suitable as a package maintainer. I'm fine if nothing goes wrong, but I may get stuck if bugs occur in future builds.

I'd like some advice as to how to proceed. Sharing the job with Steffen would seem to make the most sense, but I'm not sure exactly how that would work since he can't run cygport.

Ken