Re: Cygwin 1.7 release (was Re: ??? The library or libraries will be delivered[...])

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

>> 6) [possible] switch to gcc4 as official compiler (with associated
>> deliberate ABI breakage *without* DLL version number bumps -- see
>> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2009-04/msg00034.html). It's pretty
>> clear this will happen *eventually*. Whether it happens
>> before/on/soon-after the 1.7 rollout is still TBD.
>
> That's still a sore point.  Dave, is there any chance we can switch
> to gcc-4 as standard compiler for Cygwin 1.7 within the next 4 weeks?

  Yep, there is.  What we need is

1.  Solution to the libstdc++ DLL operator new/delete function replacement
problem.
2.  New release of binutils from head.

  #2 may be dependent on #1, depending on the solution adopted, and I have
decided over the past week or so to take a new tack which I will raise for
discussion over on -developers in just a minute, but I think it should be
acceptable and can be done quicker than my original plan.

    cheers,
      DaveK