Re: [RFU 1.7] {emacs,emacs-X11,emacs-el}-23.0.92-10

On 6/19/2009 1:33 AM, Christopher Faylor wrote:
On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 07:50:01PM -0600, Eric Blake wrote:
According to Ken Brown on 6/18/2009 2:09 PM:
Thanks from me too, Eric.  I noticed that you also added cygwin to the
requires: line of emacs-X11, even though emacs-X11 requires emacs which
requires cygwin.  Is this just a precaution in case setup.exe messes up
the dependencies, or is there some deeper reason?
All packages get cygwin added automatically by the upset script before
creating the final setup.ini for public consumption.  I did not add it at
the setup.hint level.  This script also adds the _postinstall dependency
for any package with .info files.

And yet, no matter what I do, the cygwin's and _update-info-dir's still keep creeping back into the setup.hint files.

The instructions for maintainers at http://cygwin.com/setup.html could probably use some updating. The discussion of setup.hint says, "A package will probably require the Cygwin package if it contain any DLLs or executable files since the Cygwin package contains cygwin1.dll, which is required for most programs." And a few lines later there's an example with cygwin in the requires: line.

Ken