Re: default terminal

On 1 June 2010 00:14, Charles Wilson wrote:
>> Maybe it would be nice if setup.exe was smart enough to offer an
>> alternative between the vanilla windows console and mintty but I can't
>> make myself believe that people would understand the difference.
>
> Yeah, I don't think we want to add an option to setup.

I agree.

>ÂPerhaps,
> instead, setup could create two shortcuts instead of just one. ÂThe
> first would be the same link to cygwin.bat we currently have "Cygwin";
> the other "Cygwin MinTTY" would be similar to the one mintty's current
> postinstall creates. ÂOr switch 'em around, with "Cygwin" going to
> MinTTY, and "Cygwin DOSBOX" going to cygwin.bat.

Not a bad idea. "Cygwin Console" and "Cygwin Terminal" perhaps? Of
course people still wouldn't know the difference, but at least they
could try them and find out, and delete as appropriate. Then again, we
might get lots of questions about why setup.exe felt the need to
create two shortcuts and what the difference between them is. Hmm.

> The advantages offered by mintty are the same ones that kept rxvt around
> so long -- only mintty does a much better job of it (and Andy does a
> much better job than I ever did).

Thanks for the kind words, but of course I'm cheating by spending most
of my spare hacking time on it rather than maintaining lots of crucial
packages as well.

Andy