Re: ITP: rtorret, libtorrent, libsigc++

On 8/6/2010 11:52 PM, Chris Sutcliffe wrote:
> I wish to maintain rtorrent and the additional libraries it requires
> that are not currently part of the Cygwin distribution:
[snip]
> All these packages have been approved by the Fedora project, but as
> far as I can tell have not been included as part of the official
> Fedora distribution.  However, it is part of Debian's stable packages
> (lenny).  As a result, I don't believe it needs to be voted on.
>
> I would appreciate it if someone could give the packaging a once over.

libsigc++-2.0-2.2.8-1:

I got this during configure:

	configure: WARNING: unrecognized options: --disable-demos,
	--disable-examples

I guess those options are added as part of the gtkmm cygclass, so
there's not much you can do about it.

Also, this is bad bad bad:

$ tar tjf libsigc++2.0_0-2.2.8-1.tar.bz2

	usr/bin/cygsigc-2.0-0.dll
	usr/share/doc/Cygwin/
	usr/share/doc/Cygwin/libsigc++2.0.README
	usr/share/doc/libsigc++2.0/
	usr/share/doc/libsigc++2.0/AUTHORS
	usr/share/doc/libsigc++2.0/ChangeLog
	usr/share/doc/libsigc++2.0/COPYING
	usr/share/doc/libsigc++2.0/NEWS
	usr/share/doc/libsigc++2.0/README
	usr/share/doc/libsigc++2.0/TODO

What happens when you want to install both libsigc++2.0_0 and
libsigc++2.0_1? (*)  DLL packages should never contain anything except
the dll all by itself.

(*) I know, an upstream ABI change would *also* most likely be marked by
a bump in the X.Y version number, so it would be "libsigc++2.2_1" or
something. But sadly, we sometimes have to change the ABI of libraries
on cygwin, without any similar shift upstream. It's rare, but it does
happen: the 64bit off_t switch circa cygwin-1.5; repeated issues with
libncurses, etc.

I know you're trying to follow Yaakov's advice to "not have a base
package that contains nothing but documentation".  Personally, I don't
see the problem with doing that, but IMO it's a maintainer decision (ie.
yours).  So, if you don't want to put these docs in
	libsigc++2.0-2.2.8-1
and you really should NOT put them in
	libsigc++2.0_0-2.2.8-1

Then you can either stick 'em in
	libsigc++2.0-doc-2.2.8-1
with all the voluminous stack of API docu, OR...create a separate
package just for these files, that ISN'T the "base" package.  Since it
contains the licensing information along with some basic docu, perhaps:

	libsigc++2.0-lic-2.2.8-1 ?

(I stole the idea from the recent mingw packages over at mingw.org)

Also, I don't really see the need to put the ENTIRE file list in the
Cygwin README (and your build instructions are cut-n-pasto).

The attached implement all of these suggestions. But the port builds
fine from source both with and without my modifications.

Will follow up on libtorrent and rtorrent in separate messages.

--
Chuck