Re: ITP dos2unix 5.2.1-1

> On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 08:29:51PM +0100, Christian Franke wrote:
>> An alternative would be to modify cygutils+dos2unix packages such that
>> the user can select the flavor of dos2unix/unix2dos commands with
>> /usr/sbin/alternatives. If cygutils is the default if installed this
>> should not break anything.

Except you would no longer be able to run dos2unix/unix2dos/d2u/u2d from
a non-cygwin context, such as 'naked' cmd.exe or some IDE like Eclipse.

> Hey, good idea, assuming that Chuck is amenable.  I'd be happy to just
> let the package in given that proviso if so.

Uh, let's think about that a minute.

cygutils is pulled in as part of Base (cygutils is not in the Base
category, but it is required by a packages that is: cygwin-doc).  Adding
alternatives as a dep of cygutils would then make alternatives an
implicit part of Base.  alternatives itself brings in no other unsavory
dependencies.

This would be a change, since although alternatives is used by some very
common packages [vim, automake], it's not in the default Base-"only"
(actually, Base+requirements) installation.

It also means that cygwin's dos2unix could no longer be executed from a
non-cygwin context, because of the symlinks.

Finally, Eric Blake already referenced this possibility, I think: "I see
no reason to repackage it as an alternative build."

If everybody else is ok with that, then I have no objections...but I
think we should hear from folks about these (possible) issues before
making a decision.

--
Chuck