Re: 256x256 px icons

On Jul 26 06:54, Warren Young wrote:

> >This discussion reminds me of the new icon format in Vista, which
> >support icons of up to 256x256 bytes in PNG format.
> Pixels, not bytes, unless you were thinking about 8 bpp paletted images.

Right, pixels.

> I don't see -- in the almost nonexistent docs -- that windres
> actually supports PNG icons.  windres.exe isn't linked to
> cygpng*.dll on my system, so if it does support PNG icons, it must
> do so only by blindly copying the PNG data into the COFF file.

I think it does.  In the setup sources is a cygwin.ico file and
these two lines in the resource file:

  IDI_CYGWIN              ICON    DISCARDABLE     "cygwin.ico"
  CYGWIN.ICON             FILE    DISCARDABLE     "cygwin.ico"

That doesn't look like windres cares for the actual format of the file.

> >Is that something we should add, too?
> The only time I've found where I can tell that a program has a
> high-res icon is by looking at the blue info bar at the bottom of
> Explorer windows.  A little poking around suggests that at least
> 64x64 is useful with the default bar size.  You can resize it to
> make Explorer use a larger icon, if available, but I doubt many ever
> do that.
> For XP support, we still need to ship 32x32 and 48x48 pixel icons.

I just had a look into the cygwin.ico file using gimp, and it appears
that the file has three icons, 32x32, 64x64 and 72x72.
says the default sizes are 16x16, 24x24, 32x32, 48x48, and 256x256.

You say you already have created such icon files before.  Would you
have fun to create a new "official" cygwin.ico?

The only problem to look out for is licensing.  If you use foreign
art, you have to make sure that the icon is published under a free

Red Hat