This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: 256x256 px icons
On 27 July 2011 18:30, Warren Young wrote:
> On 7/27/2011 1:41 AM, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>> You say you already have created such icon files before. ÂWould you
>> have fun to create a new "official" cygwin.ico?
> Here you go:
> Â Â Â Âhttp://etr-usa.com/cygwin/mintty-icon/combined.ico
> That file contains a 256 px 32 bpp (RGBA) Vista (PNG) icon plus standard BMP
> icons in 48 px 32 bpp, 32 px 8 bpp, 24 px 8 bpp, and 16 px 8 bpp sizes and
> depths. ÂIf you look at the directory view, you can see the source files
> that went into this.
Thanks very much for putting in this effort.
However, there are a number of problems. In increasing order of subjectivity:
- The 16x16 has white dots in the corners.
- There are black edges around the icons. Those need to be transparent.
- Contrast and saturation are rather low. I think it would be better
to overlay the Cygwin symbol on top of the terminal rather than
- The terminal's screen is too busy with both the prompt and the 'C'.
I think the ">_" would need to go.
- Even then, I'm not convinced this will be as good as either of the
original icons, because it will still look like a compromise, with the
glossy Cygwin symbol sticking out of the more matte terminal screen in
the bigger versions and getting squashed in the 16x16 version.