Re: 256x256 px icons

On Jul 28 11:08, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> Hi Warren, Hi Andy,
> On Jul 28 06:50, Andy Koppe wrote:
> > On 27 July 2011 22:11, Warren Young wrote:
> > >

> > That looks a lot better, thanks. Nice work removing the prompt. Did
> > you go back to the original SVG to do that?
> >
> > > It also has the gray edges on the smaller icons instead of black, and
> > > transparent corners in the 16x16.
> > >
> > > I had to remove the text, which makes the result not as clearly a terminal.
> > >  At 256 and arguably at 48 px, you can figure out that it might be a
> > > terminal, especially if you've seen the icon in its previous incarnation.
> > >  At 32 px and below, I challenge anyone to honestly tell me that there is
> > > any sense of "terminal" left in this version.
> >
> > Fair point.
> Indeed.  There's also the problem that the Cygwin C is harder to
> recognize on the dark grey background the smaller the icon gets.
> Compared to the original mintty icon, the left and right sides of
> the terminal frame gets harder to recognize, too, the smaller the
> icon gets.  I think that's a result of using more low-key shades
> of grey.  Alternatively I just need glasses.
> > > One could make an argument for going back to the plain old Konsole icon.
> > >  Maybe one icon cannot serve two masters.
> >
> > Just to be clear: I'd be happy with the modernized Cygwin icon too. I
> > still prefer both that and the Konsole icon over the combined one
> > (even ignoring the issue with the non-transparent border).
> >
> > Thanks again for putting in this effort to have something tangible to
> > compare with.
> I fall in with the thanks.  It looks like a terminal frame and the
> Cygwin C are no good companions, icon-wise.
> It seems that black was a bad choice for the Cygwin C.  I have a rather
> dark background on my W7 32bit test machine.  It doesn't matter if I
> use the original icon or the fatbuttlarry icon, both are hard to see,
> except for the green wedge.  And the (much too) big shortcut overlays
> don't help either.
> Hmm.

Actually, the longer I see the 48x48 icon on my desctop, the more I like
it.  If the left and right terminal frames would be just one pixel
thicker, and the terminal background a teeny little bit lighter, I think
I could go with it.  For the smaller sizes, maybe we should simply fall
back to the plain old Cygwin C?

Red Hat