Re: 256x256 px icons

On Aug 4 13:24, Charles Wilson wrote:
Nice, thank you.  Do you know how to convert the green glow around
the C to grey, by any chance?

Not...exactly. I think you should be able to use the magic wand selection tool (with appropriate options), and then apply a desaturate or color shift filter to the selected region. But, that's only a guess.

I tried that for about 45 minutes. Don't ask to see any results :(

In Gimp, you can say Colors > Hue-Saturation, then click the radio button next to the green color chip to restrict the adjustment to the greens. Dropping Saturation should then give you the result you want.

Avoid the Tragic Wand. It is almost never the right tool for the job. There are whole books on better selection methods:

	http://www.amazon.com/dp/0321441206/
	http://www.amazon.com/dp/0735712794/
	http://www.amazon.com/dp/0321808231/

Yes, they're all to do with Photoshop, but the principles are the same.

In the case of Hue-Saturation, Gimp/PS is computing a mask for you automatically when you restrict it to a color range. When not dealing with simple logo art, you often have to resort to the more advanced techniques in the books I've recommended above.