Re: [ITP] astrometry.net-0.38-1

Hi Jussi,

On Oct  4 11:02, Jussi Kantola wrote:
> Hi folks --
>
> I'm trying this for the second and final time, just in case this got
> ignored earlier because of formal mistakes in the submission, or
> holidays, or ...
>
> It's a package that our project
> (http://sourceforge.net/projects/astromate/) would benefit immensely
> from, as the routine of installing cygwin, selecting (all of the) the
> required packages and compiling astrometry.net is beyond the skills of
> the target audience (amateur astronomers).  Not included in any of the
> major distros.
>
> Included is a small subset of the freely available Tycho-2 star
> catalogue, which can be used for testing the installation:
>
> cd /usr/local/astrometry/examples; ../bin/solve-field.exe apod4.jpg
>
> For a comprehensive sky catalogue, see
> http://trac.astrometry.net/browser/trunk/src/astrometry/GETTING-INDICES
>
> category: Science
> requires: cairo libcairo2 python-cairo libnetpbm10 netpbm libpng14
> libjpeg8 zlib zlib0 python python-numpy pkg-config cygwin
> sdesc:    "Astrometry.net astrometrical solver."
> ldesc:    "Astrometry.net analyses an astronomical image (photograph of the
> night sky) to output, among other things, the central coordinate of the image,
> the visible field of view, and the list of deep sky objects potentially
> visible within the field."
>
> wget \
>   http://rubor.org/astrometrytortilla/astrometry.net/astrometry.net-0.38-1.tar.bz2
> \
>   http://rubor.org/astrometrytortilla/astrometry.net/astrometry.net-0.38-1-src.tar.bz2
> \
>   http://rubor.org/astrometrytortilla/astrometry.net/setup.hint

first of all, you need 5 votes from other package maintainers to get
the package into the distro, since it's not in any major Linux distro.

Apart from that, your packaging is wrong.  You've put everything under
/usr/local/astrometry, but for an official distro package, you should
follow the usual directory layout as outlined in
http://cygwin.com/setup.html#package_contents
Nothing ever in the distro should go into /usr/local.  That dir is
reserved for *local* stuff on the user's machine.

UI binaries under /usr/bin, include files under /usr/include/astrometry,
helper stuff under /usr/share/astrometry, etc.

Red Hat