Re: Names for debug packages

On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 4:02 PM, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 08:17:32AM -0400, Ken Brown wrote:
>>There's been discussion on the cygwin list about packages containing
>>debug symbols, most recently in
>>
>> ? http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2012-02/threads.html#00536
>>
>>where the consensus (I think) was that package maintainers could provide
>>such packages if they wanted to. ?I would like to provide a package
>>containing debug symbols for emacs-*.exe, but I'm not sure what to call
>>it. ?The thread I just cited discussed *-debuginfo. ?But since then
>>Reini has released perl_debuginfo, and Corinna has released
>>cygwin-debug. ?Could/should we standardize these names? ?I don't know
>>whether to call my new package emacs-debuginfo, emacs_debuginfo, or
>>emacs-debug. ?My personal preference is the last one, simply because
>>it's short.
>
> I believe that Fedora and others use "-debuginfo" and I think we
> should stick with that.

I also prefer -debuginfo over _debuginfo.
In my case perl had previous usage of seperating internals packages
with "_" (manpages) from normal perl packages seperated with "-".
-debuginfo would have looked like a package called debuginfo from CPAN.

Please use -debuginfo.
--
Reini Urban
http://cpanel.net/ ? http://www.perl-compiler.org/