Re: Possible changes to setup.exe interface and name

On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 01:21:23AM +0200, Michael Benford wrote:
>On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 19:39:50 +0200, Christopher Faylor wrote:

>>> I would implement a configuration panel that is accessible from the
>>> package selection page.(i have developed a button table mini
>>> application for launching other application with hard coded
>>> command-line arguments using only win32)
>>
>> I'd rather just start with a command-line option than adding a whole new
>> screen to setup.exe.
>
>I'm basically offering to turn setup.exe into a package manager. setup.exe
>would need to auto detect the current state of installation and should
>have a command line argument to force a new install.

I don't know what "force a new install" means but setup.exe is already a
package manager.  People aren't clamoring for more screens.  They are really
clamoring for a more command-line-driven capability.

>>Sorry.  This isn't a democracy.  We're not changing the name.  This has
>>come up before.  I'm sure you can find past discussions on this issue
>>if you search.
>
>I will search the mailing lists.  If you could also send me a specific
>email, mailing list and/or date to look at it would be appreciated.

I don't keep this type of information at the tip of my fingers.  Sorry.

cgf