Re: Changing dependent library version numbers vs. test packages vs. requires: lines.

On 11/23/2012 6:17 PM, Dave Korn wrote:

Hi all,

   I've got a gcc-4.7.2 package almost ready to upload, but there's one issue
I'm not sure what's best to do about.

   Several of the runtime libs have changed version numbers, i.e.
libgnat4.5->libgnat4.7, libgcj11->libgcj13, libobjc2->libobjc4.

   I'd like to release a test: version of the new compiler, but I don't know
what's best to do for the requires: lines in the setup hint files.

   If I add the new library versions, those dependencies will also be pulled in
by people installing the curr: version of the compiler, but the new libraries
won't exist in curr: versions.

   If I don't, people installing the test: version will have to ensure they
manually select the new runtime libraries, which might be the least worst option.

Is there any better way to handle this situation?

     cheers,
       DaveK

I doubt until someone changes setup.
Put all the dependencies on your Announce, who want to try should be able to install them.

Marco