Re: [RFU][1.3.9-2] pvâ

On 10/12/2012 20:15, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
Cygwin supports mmap for a long time.  However,  I'm puzzled why
using POSIX message queues should be more work than implementing
the message transport from scratch.  This sounds much more error
prone than using an existing mechanism.

I have never used POSIX message queues, and that would only give me -R in any case, since I would still either need shared memory or a new positioning algorithm for -c.

Instead, I would open a lock file and use that to co-ordinate which PV is the "first" one and where the "top" Y co-ordinate is. I might not even need mmap() at all. So long as I'm using lock files for the terminal anyway, it seems that I might as well also use them for the rest of -c and -R.

So this is why I think it would be easier to use lock files and/or mmap than trying to use message queues.