This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: HEADSUP: 64 bit Cygwin is coming soon
- From: Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin at cygwin dot com>
- To: cygwin-apps at cygwin dot com
- Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 10:12:53 +0100
- Subject: Re: HEADSUP: 64 bit Cygwin is coming soon
- References: <20130306163233 dot GC9238 at calimero dot vinschen dot de> <CAGiDFq0Q0eUofaKgnDmg379ifBS4_ynLN8b4kdyMt5VQeHn+0Q at mail dot gmail dot com>
- Reply-to: cygwin-apps at cygwin dot com
On Mar 20 18:04, Bob Heckel wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 11:32 AM, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > First install the "base-cygwin-toolchain-install-first-$version.tar.xz"
> > package in some new directory (like C:\cygwin64). Then unpack all other
> > tar archives you would like to try in that directory. Just make sure
> > you're using the 'k' option to tar, for instance, from a 32 bit Cygwin
> > shell:
> > $ pwd
> > /cygdrive/c/cygwin64
> > $ wget ftp://cygwin.com/cygwin/64bit/install/dash-0.5.7-2.x86_64.tar.xz
> > [...]
> > $ tar xJkf dash-0.5.7-2.x86_64.tar.xz
> Hi, I'm getting an error:
> No such file `dash-0.5.7-2.x86_64.tar.xz'
> Did it move? Thanks.
Yes. We have gradually moved all to an 64bit/release dir, which is a
release area compatible with setup. Unfortunately upset isn't running
yet and a setup64 is missing, too.
What's also missing so far is coreutils and mintty. Both packages are
still in 64bit/install. I'm planning to create a new coreutils package
for the 64bit/release area today, though.
Here's how you can install 64 bit cygwin from 32 bit cygwin without the
base-cygwin-toolchain package for now:
- Download the release area. It's not that big yet, and it allows
you to install all packages locally:
rsync -av rsync://cygwin.com/ftp/cygwin/64bit/release/ .
Additionally fetch coreutils and mintty:
- Set up the 64 bit dir:
$ mkdir -p /cygdrive/c/cygwin64
$ cd /cygdrive/c/cygwin64
$ mkdir -p dev etc bin lib usr home/$USER var
$ cd usr
$ ln -s ../bin bin
$ ln -s ../lib lib
$ cd ..
- Now you're in the new 64 bit root dir. From here, run this script:
for i in $(find "/tmp/64bit-release -type f -name '*.tar.bz2' \! -name ' *-src.tar.bz2' \! -name '*-debuginfo-*.tar.bz2' | sort -r)
[ "$dir" != "$olddir" ] && echo tar xjkf $i && tar xjkf $i
tar xJkf /tmp/64bit-release/coreutils-8.15-1.x86_64.tar.xz
tar xJkf /tmp/64bit-release/mintty-trunk-r1306.x86_64.tar.xz
- Copy your /etc/passwd and /etc/group files from the 32 bit distro into
the etc dir in the 64 bit dir. Copy your startup and config files
from your 32 bit dir to your new 64 bit home dir, as created in the
- Start a 64 bit shell. Run the scripts from /etc/postinstall and
ignore error messages for now. Copy your desktop "Cygwin Terminal"
icon and tweak the path to mintty and the working directory in the
link properties. Now you should be set up.
Corinna Vinschen Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to
Cygwin Maintainer cygwin AT cygwin DOT com