Re: [RFC] libjpeg-turbo

On 4/10/2013 4:03 AM, Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
The libjpeg-turbo project provides SIMD acceleration while remaining API
and ABI compatible with IJG libjpeg 6b/7/8 (based on configure flags). I
have been using this libjpeg8 locally instead of the IJG one from the
distro for some time, and have seen no ABI incompatibilities.

Fedora switched from IJG libjpeg to libjpeg-turbo in F14, and did the
same in their MinGW toolchain for F16 (when they switched from mingw.org
to mingw-w64).  Perhaps we should do the same?

Yes, I've been considering switching for some time (especially given the...mess...that IJG libjpeg development has been for the past few years.)

I'm willing, unless there's strong objection from the list.

BTW, which processor do we target these days in 32bit cygwin, as that will affect which SIMD instruction set is enabled whn libjpeg-turbo is built? i686?

--
Chuck