ffmpeg

I am use several programs that are native windows compiled, such as ffmpeg.
I am writing a sheel script to get video clip information provided by ffmpeg, but I can't capture the screen output which (probably isn't stdout to cygwin), but does display on the minty and putty consoles.  I've tried redirecting both stdout and stderr it to file.  It doesn't work.

Is there any, method to capture this output, besides writing a windows batch file that captures it and writes it to a file, which would work, but is really inefficient.

Any advice and pointers would be appreciated.