Re: [64bit] Some packaging problems

On Jul 16 17:25, Ken Brown wrote:
> I noticed that a default x86_64 install brings in a lot more
> packages than a default x86 install.  I found three problems that
> explain at least some of this.
>
> 1. The x86_64 distro has both libexpat1-devel and libexpat-devel,
> with the files of the latter being a subset of those of the former.
> In addition, libexpat1-devel is missing a setup.hint, so it is put
> into the Misc category and installed by default.  BTW, there are
> packages depending on both of these in the distro, so there will be
> other changes needed after one of them is removed.

For all I can tell, libexpat-devel seems to be the old version,
libexpat1-devel the new one.  We should probably manually fix the deps
in the various hint files to require libexpat1-devel and remove the
libexpat-devel package.  Yaakov?

> 2. gdb has the wrong setup.hint; it's the same as the setup.hint for
> rebase.  In particular, this puts it into the Base category.

Thanks, I fixed the setup.hint manually and I'm just building a new gdb
package with the fixed cygport file.

> 3. The dependencies man ==> groff ==> perl bring perl into a default
> install.

Hmm, is that bad?  OTOH, the 32 bit groff only requires some default
libs, not bash, sed, and perl.  Why's that?

Red Hat