Re: zsh for x86_64 uploaded

On Thu, 8 Aug 2013, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

Hi Peter,

Greetings, Corinna,

On Aug  7 16:36, Peter A. Castro wrote:
On Thu, 1 Aug 2013, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

Hi guys,
Hi Peter,

Greetings, Corinna,

I just uploaded a 64 bit zsh-5.0.2-1 package.  I did not convert it to
cygport but kept the g-b-s build script (mostly) intact.

Only two patches were necessary, one of them dropping
--host=i686-pc-cygwin  and --target =i686-pc-cygwin from the configury,
the other was replacing a call to cygwin_conv_to_posix_path with a call
to cygwin_conv_path in builtin.c since the old, deprecated
cygwin_conv_to_XXX API doesn't exist on x86_64 anymore.  The patch is
fortunately target independent.

Thanks for doing this.
I've been too busy to devote time to Cygwin lately and I still don't
have access to 64-bit windows to do the porting.

As I already stated in other mail on this list, if you have a machine
with 64 bit hardware, you can just create a virtual machine with the
VM of choice and install an evaluation version of Windows Server 2012
from Microsoft:

I saw that email.  Had to re-signup for a "Microsoft Account" (formerly
Windows Live ID), which I did have but has apparently been deleted for
inactivity :-().  I feel so unclean. :-)

And, while I love to use VMs (and do for many, many things), having to
re-install Windows every 6 months for a new "evaluation" period isn't my
idea of "fun", given how many patches I'd have to install there after.

I'm looking for a more permanent solution, likely Win 7 Pro 64-bit
(retail) for cheap.  I guess I'll keep looking. :-/

Thanks for the cygport primer.  I'll give it a try for my next grab of
zsh.

 http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/hh708764.aspx

The eval runs for 180 days.

As it turns out, someone else tried building zsh on Cygwin recently
and hit this same problem (cygwin_conv_to_posix_path).  I believe
it's been fixed upstream, but I'll verify that when I grab the
latest zsh release.

BTW, how hard would it be to move to cygport?  Is it worth the trouble?

Using cygport is usually simple.  The more autotool-oriented the package
is, the easier it gets.  Here's an example of a full autotoolized
package:

 $ cat fetchmail.cygport
 NAME="fetchmail"
 VERSION="6.3.22"
 RELEASE=1
 CATEGORY="Mail"
 SUMMARY="A remote mail retrieval and forwarding utility"
 DESCRIPTION="Fetchmail is a remote mail retrieval and forwarding utility
 [...]"
 SRC_URI="mirror://sourceforge/fetchmail.berlios/${P}.tar.xz"

Here's a package which needs an installation tweak:

 $ cat file.cygport
 NAME="file"
 VERSION="5.13"
 RELEASE=1
 CATEGORY="Utils Base"
 SUMMARY="Determines file type using 'magic' numbers"
 DESCRIPTION="With file you can obtain information on the file type of a
 [...]"
 SRC_URI="ftp://ftp.astron.com/pub/file/${P}.tar.gz";

 CYGCONF_ARGS="--enable-fsect-man5"

 src_install() {
	  cd ${B}
	  cyginstall

	  # As on Fedora, create the magic file and the usual links to it.
	  set +x
	  cat ${S}/magic/Magdir/* > "${D}/usr/share/misc/magic"
	  ln -s misc/magic "${D}/usr/share/magic"
	  mkdir -p "${D}/usr/share/file"
	  ln -s ../magic "${D}/usr/share/file/magic"
 }

Here's an example for a package which isn't set up to be build outside
the source tree, which isn't autotoolized, and which has sources in CVS
only:

 $ cat mt.cygport
 NAME="mt"
 VERSION="2.3.3"
 RELEASE=2
 CATEGORY="Utils"
 SUMMARY="Magnetic Tape manipulation utility"
 DESCRIPTION="Magnetic Tape manipulation utility"
 HOMEPAGE="http://cygwin.com/";

 CVS_URI=":pserver:anoncvs@cygwin.com:/cvs/cygwin-apps"
 CVS_BRANCH="mt-${PV//\./_}-release"
 inherit cvs

 src_compile() {
   cd ${S}
   lndirs
   cd ${B}
   comp=$(type -p ${ARCH}-pc-cygwin-gcc)
   cygmake CC=${comp:-gcc}
 }

It can get more complicated than that, but you get the idea.  If you
have problems, have a look into other cygport files and don't hesitate
to ask on this list.

Zsh seems to run fine as far as my limited testing goes.

Since there was an existing 5.0.2-1 (32-bit) and since there was a
revision to the source package and since the changes could be
applied to both 32-bit and 64-bit, you probably should have made
this 5.0.2-2 instead, but, hey, no worries.  I'll sync things up
once I get a 64-bit Win running. :-)

Cool, thanks!

--=> Peter A. Castro
Email: doctor at fruitbat dot org / Peter dot Castro at oracle dot com