Re: zsh for x86_64 uploaded

On Aug  9 17:51, Peter A. Castro wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Aug 2013, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >As I already stated in other mail on this list, if you have a machine
> >with 64 bit hardware, you can just create a virtual machine with the
> >VM of choice and install an evaluation version of Windows Server 2012
> >from Microsoft:
>
> I saw that email.  Had to re-signup for a "Microsoft Account" (formerly
> Windows Live ID), which I did have but has apparently been deleted for
> inactivity :-().  I feel so unclean. :-)
>
> And, while I love to use VMs (and do for many, many things), having to
> re-install Windows every 6 months for a new "evaluation" period isn't my
> idea of "fun", given how many patches I'd have to install there after.
>
> I'm looking for a more permanent solution, likely Win 7 Pro 64-bit
> (retail) for cheap.  I guess I'll keep looking. :-/

Look for the "System Builder OEM" version.  It's cheaper than the normal
retail version.  And go for W7 Ultimate while it's still available,
unless you never want to use the NFS client, in which case the Pro
version is sufficent.

> Thanks for the cygport primer.  I'll give it a try for my next grab of
> zsh.

Sure!  When you get used to it it's more fun than hacking rpm spec files,
and the automatism of creating the setup.hint files including the right
dependencies is a big convenience factor :)

Red Hat