Re: [ITA] tcl-sqlite3

On 2014-01-14 03:55, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
I don't know much about sqlite, but your package content puzzles me:

   usr/lib/sqlite3.8.2/pkgIndex.tcl
   usr/lib/sqlite3.8.2/sqlite382.dll
   usr/share/man/mann/sqlite3.n.gz

This looks only vaguely related to tcl.  I see that the existing
tcl-sqlite3-3.7.15.2-1.tar.bz2 in the 64 bit distro looks similar,

Yes, that's the default TEA layout.

but it's bound against sqlite-3.7.15.2, so it probably won't work
with recent sqlite versions anyway.

It should still work, it just won't have bindings for the newest features in sqlite-3.8.x.

I really don't quite grok the directory layout and the naming.

I took a look into the Fedora package, which is called "sqlite-tcl".
It provides

   /usr/lib/tcl8.5/sqlite3
   /usr/lib/tcl8.5/sqlite3/libtclsqlite3.so
   /usr/lib/tcl8.5/sqlite3/pkgIndex.tcl

That makes more sense to me:

- As a tcl package the shared lib should be under /usr/lib/tcl8.5

Not necessarily. Packages built with Tcl stubs are not linked to libtcl8.5 and should be compatible with any (at least newer) version of Tcl without having to be rebuilt.

- The subdir and the shared lib shouldn't have the *exact* name of
   the sqlite version, otherwise they don't make sense anymore if
   sqlite gets updated to, say, 3.8.3.

Tcl extensions are loaded via pkgIndex.tcl, so the module name itself is irrelevant.

Yaakov