Re: [ITA] tcl-sqlite3

2014/1/14 Yaakov (Cygwin/X):
> I don't see any links to a -src package, or better yet, a URL to the
> .cygport and patches (if any).

That's because  the -src package is the same as
the "sqlite3" src package. Apparently that was not
clear enough from the mailed setup.hint file, it's
already uploaded to cygwin.com:
2014/1/13 Jan Nijtmans <jan.nijtmans@gmail.com>:
> tcl-sqlite3/setup.hint
> external-source: sqlite3    <<<<<<<<<<<<
> prev: 3.7.15.2-1
> curr: 3.8.2-3

However, the one with the latest modifications can be found here now:
    <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/69449580/Cygwin/sqlite3/sqlite3-3.8.2-3-src.tar.xz>

2014/1/14 Warren Young <warren@etr-usa.com>:
> If it's hidden under /usr/lib/tcl or whatever, I don't see a problem with
> the fully-versioned library file.  It's only for tcl-sqlite's use, and it's
> behind a layer of indirection, so it can call its file whatever it wants.

It's not a problem, but partly-versioned (only the "3") library file
has the advantage that no uninstall needs to be done after
an upgrade to a higher version. The directory cannot
accidentally keep old versions of files around, every
upgrade will simply overwrite it with the new version.

If the filename is agreed upon, still agreement is needed on
the directory where those file should be installed. Using
/usr/lib/tcl8.x/sqlite3 is not strange at all: TEA dictates
that there should be a tclConfig.sh file in /usr/lib, but
Debian moves that to /usr/lib/tcl8.x as well. It's
already in the search path of Tcl, so it will work
without the need to patch Tcl itself.

Putting it in /usr/lib/tcl8.6/sqlite3, and create a link
in /usr/lib/tcl8.5 as well, has the advantage that
it is already ready for (my locally compiled) Tcl 8.6.
Of course, it could be the other way around
as well, but then I would like to to put a link
in /usr/lib/tcl8.6 anyway. It just depends on what
plans Cygwin has for Tcl 8.6 in the near future,
I simply don't know.

Summarised:

TEA (without full-version):
       /usr/lib/sqlite3/tclsqlite3.dll
       /usr/lib/sqlite3/pkgIndex.tcl

TM (Tcl module new style):
       /usr/lib/tcl8/8.5/sqlite3/tclsqlite3.dll
       /usr/lib/tcl8/8.5/sqlite3/sqlite3-3.8.2.tm
     (not a good idea, because tm-files are
      expected to contain the full version number)

My suggestion (looks like Fedora's "sqlite-tcl" package):
       /usr/lib/tcl8.5/sqlite3 -> ../tcl8.6/sqlite3
       /usr/lib/tcl8.6/sqlite3/tclsqlite3.dll
       /usr/lib/tcl8.6/sqlite3/pkgIndex.tcl
or
       /usr/lib/tcl8.6/sqlite3 -> ../tcl8.5/sqlite3
       /usr/lib/tcl8.5/sqlite3/tclsqlite3.dll
       /usr/lib/tcl8.5/sqlite3/pkgIndex.tcl

Who has the authority to make such decision? And who can
add the "tcl-sqlite3" package to cygwin-pkg-maint?

Thanks for all your cooperation!

Regards,
        Jan Nijtmans