Re: MTA packaging (exim, postfix, sendmail, ssmtp)

On 2014-10-08 07:52, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
On Oct  6 17:19, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
Because MTAs must be user-configured, and we certainly don't want to lose
the selection during package upgrades, the alternatives cannot be handled in
package postinst/prerm.  I think the only way to make this work is for each
MTA config script to handle these instead by including the following
snippets in the respective MTA config scripts.

Please review this carefully in case I missed anything.

The ssmtp part looks ok to me.  Two questions:

- Don't we have to add something to preremove as well?

No, because we don't distinguish between removing and upgrading a package in preremove. Whenever a user wishes to switch MTAs, they will need to run alternatives --set, preferably via the MTA config scripts.

- What if the user installs multiple MTA packages at the same time?

That's why we need both --install and --set, to make these manually configured. Trying to let alternatives auto-configure this will just lead to problems.

Yaakov