Re: [HEADSUP] Base category

On Dec 6, 2014, at 9:57 AM, Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:

> Also, can we automate this?

If you’re suggesting an automatic promotion of package to Base, I’d argue for the opposite: automatic detection of dependency creep.

I’ve got in mind the 2-3 times in my memory where Perl has crept into the minimal install set via some indirect dependency.  When this sort of thing happens, it should cause a red flag somewhere, so that the dependency creep can be pruned back again.

One way to do this is to take a look at all the packages currently in a minimal install, decide if they really should be in that set, and add them to Base.  Then, on each re-generation of setup.ini, run the dependency resolution algorithm on the package tree and see if there are any packages not in Base that would have to be installed to satisfy the algorithm.