This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
- From: Warren Young <wyml at etr-usa dot com>
- To: cygwin-apps at cygwin dot com
- Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2015 15:05:12 -0600
- Subject: Re: setup
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <87vbcwfdvw dot fsf at Rainer dot invalid> <87r3nkfaxn dot fsf at Rainer dot invalid> <87mvy8f8dz dot fsf at Rainer dot invalid> <20150803202908 dot GI17917 at calimero dot vinschen dot de> <87a8u8f4s5 dot fsf at Rainer dot invalid> <871tfidhrm dot fsf at Rainer dot invalid> <20150805080833 dot GT17917 at calimero dot vinschen dot de> <87614tn3nm dot fsf at Rainer dot invalid> <20150806100338 dot GY17917 at calimero dot vinschen dot de> <87d1z0if40 dot fsf at Rainer dot invalid> <20150807194737 dot GO12475 at calimero dot vinschen dot de>
On Aug 7, 2015, at 1:47 PM, Corinna Vinschen <email@example.com> wrote:
> On Aug 6 17:57, Achim Gratz wrote:
>> I would consider this a release candidate. Some more testing with
>> interactive and ad-hoc installs would be useful, though.
> I have a vague idea that setup should ideally be part of the Cygwin
> distro package set. So setup updates itself, and it would be possible
> to handle public "test" releases.
> The issue of overwriting setup while setup is running could be worked
> around by setup first copying itself to a intermediate filename (e.g.
> .setup.exe) and then exce'ing that copy.
Youâd have to couple this either with a MoveFileEx(â, MOVEFILE_DELAY_UNTIL_REBOOT) call or a background task that replaces /bin/setup.exe with %LOCALAPPDATA%/Temp/setup-v$next.exe.
This would be a nice point to give setup.exe a CLI language for installing packages in yum/apt-get fashion, too. (Yes, yes, I know, SHTDI.)