This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: do package updates automatically kill running exes?
- From: cyg Simple <cygsimple at gmail dot com>
- To: cygwin-apps at cygwin dot com
- Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2015 09:31:41 -0400
- Subject: Re: do package updates automatically kill running exes?
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <qscosattddeocejq80t47mllp22muvqt3p at 4ax dot com> <qscosattddeocejq80t47mllp22muvqt3p-e09XROE/p8c at public dot gmane dot org> <55CC6CE0 dot 9040908 at dronecode dot org dot uk> <0k0psats80nbi13clrq5tmv7pat7pfevlh at 4ax dot com> <0k0psats80nbi13clrq5tmv7pat7pfevlh-e09XROE/p8c at public dot gmane dot org> <871tf7vzl1 dot fsf at Rainer dot invalid> <1bqpsat4pv5lfnql0m1srui7pkvaspsd2t at 4ax dot com> <1bqpsat4pv5lfnql0m1srui7pkvaspsd2t-e09XROE/p8c at public dot gmane dot org> <55CCED9B dot 60200 at dronecode dot org dot uk> <kkkrsat51gbukg7nvaapcfaric7i8ll96c at 4ax dot com> <55CDF78D dot 9010507 at dronecode dot org dot uk> <87bne967xh dot fsf at Rainer dot invalid>
On 8/14/2015 2:28 PM, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Jon TURNEY writes:
>> I don't understand why you need to do anything over and above what
>> setup already does.
> Read on.
>> Setup cannot replace /usr/bin/fish.exe while there is a running
>> process with it loaded, and will request permission to kill those
>> processes before trying to replace it (and if denied, schedule a
>> replacement for the next reboot)
> His problem is that the process he wants to have killed has its
> executable deleted, not replaced (/usr/bin/fishd.exe). I haven't tested
> it, but I would guess that setup would need to kill it anyway because it
> could not be deleted while it was running.
The opened EXE file can be marked for deletion and then renamed allowing
the new file to be copied. The side effect would be a shutdown at a
later time would delete the renamed file and the new process would start
with the changed file.