This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: upset, genini: different version ordering
- From: Achim Gratz <Stromeko at nexgo dot de>
- To: cygwin-apps at cygwin dot com
- Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2015 21:55:45 +0200
- Subject: Re: upset, genini: different version ordering
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <87380i671e dot fsf at Rainer dot invalid> <874mjw8mz7 dot fsf at Rainer dot invalid> <55D5BC0C dot 1000300 at dronecode dot org dot uk>
Jon TURNEY writes:
> The idea that we need different way of sorting version strings for
> different packages seems really strange.
To me the idea of using a sort finction that is known to produce wrong
results seemed more strange.
> Does any other distro have something like this? How do linux distros
> handle the special version number sorting requirements that perl
> apparently has?
Honestly, I don't know. Perl and Perl distributions had their
versioning scheme sorted out years ago when CPAN entered the scene and
it became apparent that things were a lot more complicated than a quick
look would easily reveal.
The only discernible effect (and the desired one) in any case is that
you have to less often explicitly state which version is corrent or
+<[Q+ Matrix-12 WAVE#46+305 Neuron microQkb Andromeda XTk Blofeld]>+
Wavetables for the Terratec KOMPLEXER: