Re: AVX on Cygwin

On Nov 27 20:33, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen writes:
> >> I hope this affects 64 bit only?
>
> I don't know if it would even be possible to run AVX code from 32bit,
> but yes, the three reports so far have been from 64bit systems.
>
> > Btw., for the time being it might be prudent to disable AVX in gmp...
>
> There is no configure option for that when producing a fat binary.  I
> guess the GMP folks didn't test it on Cygwin on a system where that code
> is actually used.  Haswell and IvyBridge also use some AVX bits, but
> apparently nothing that bugs out (or nobody has found it yet).

On second thought, what I'm wondering about is what exactly *is* the
problem with AVX?  While the AVX context isn't saved when running signal
handlers or getcontext, it's very unlikely that the AVX state changes at
all when running a system function or signal handler.  No system function
in Cygwin affects the AVX registers.  And a signal handler running AVX
functions seems unlikely, too.

Before changing Cygwin it would be nice to know exactly where/when the
problem occurs.

Red Hat