Re: [ITP] italic-man

Am 09.08.2019 um 22:51 schrieb Brian Inglis:
On 2019-08-09 13:31, Thomas Wolff wrote:
Am 09.08.2019 um 20:56 schrieb Achim Gratz:
Jon Turney writes:
This gets a GTG from me.
I believe that according to our stated procedures additional approvals
are required, because this package is unique to cygwin.
I'm not sure I remember correctly from when the discussion went on the
first time, but wasn't there some mumbling about this partly going into
groff?  If that's still the case, remind me what this would entail and
I'll look into it.
There are multiple ways of activating the feature (also described in the man page).
The previous strategy placed a shell script wrapper "groff" aside groff, so the
groff script and groff.exe would coexist in /bin. This was tricky to install and
particularly it reportedly did not survive a package update of groff.
The new approach does not use this wrapper anymore. Instead it redirects nroff
to the package-supplied iroff script by configuration in /etc/man_db.conf.
There's also use of the undocumented LESS_TERMCAP_... with GROFF_NO_SGR env vars
(see attached - must be sourced from profile or rc) to remap bold, underline,
etc. into italic and/or colour, or whatever else you want to change, in all less
output.
So (without my package) LESS_TERMCAP_us=$(tput sitm) man ls
should have the same effect? Cannot reproduce. And what does GROFF_NO_SGR do?