Re: Question about making changes...

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 04, 1999 at 05:18:40PM +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >
> >       updir:= $(dir $(srcdir))
> >
> >which is incorrect because of the local configure call, and change it to
> >
> >       updir:= ../
>
> Can you tell me why ${dir ${srcdir}} != ../ if $(srcdir) is pointing to the
> directory containing the sources?

As I mentioned in the second part of my mail, I didn't understand anything,
it's only my way, to solve my problems with the Makefile. The upper solution isn't
good, but it works for me. I didn't want more than that. Especially, I don't
understand the full syntax of GNU Makefiles. After _many_ years of developing
Macintosh software, I only know the older standard Makefile syntax and, call
it ignorant, so far I didn't have any fun in learning the GNU syntax.

> >I can't remember exactly, because I didn't complain any time, s.th. didn't
> >work instantly but AFAIK, this is one of very few interventions, I had to do.
> >Maybe, it's my missing insight in the process of automake/autoconf.
> >But nevertheless, so far, I could compile anything in the development tree.
>
> Let me just reiterate:  If you want to set up your environment in the manner
> which is proscribed by Cygnus *never* *ever* build in the same directory as
> the source.
> [...]

Let me reiterate, too: I had also problems, after I tried to configure in another
directory. I don't have a patch or a explanation for it, because, as forementioned,
I don't understand autoconf and the configure script is not well readable for me.
So I wait for a patch for this problem, too!

Regards,
Corinna