duplicate inode number

I reported this problem and the patch resolving it once, but there
has been no response. So I try to explain it more concretely.

As reported in the cygwin mailing list, `mv' sometime complains
completely different files are the same file. Because these files
have the same inode number.

For example,

$ touch 1 2 3 4 5
$ mv 1 2
mv: `1' and `2' are the same file
$ ls -i
   1447 1     1447 2     1445 3     1445 4     1447 5

This can be observed on Win9x in the snapshots since 12 Feb when the
following changes are made.

Fri Feb 12 13:17:49 1999  Corinna Vinschen  <corinna.vinschen@cityweb.de>

        * fhandler.cc (fhandler_disk_file::fstat): Handles directories,
        returns unique i-node number.
        * syscalls.cc (stat_worker): On WinNT, stat_worker calls
        fhandler_disk_file::fstat for directories, too.
____
  | AIST      Kazuhiro Fujieda <fujieda@jaist.ac.jp>
  | HOKURIKU  School of Information Science
o_/ 1990      Japan Advanced Institute of Science and Technology