Re: Maintainers wanted

On Fri, Nov 19, 1999 at 12:40:42AM +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>Chris Faylor wrote:
>> [...]
>> Yes.  I would like to make our site the definitive site for Cygwin
>> packages.  I've actually been given that mandate.  I would like to
>> make the download a pick and choose kind of affair somehow even
>> for things like bash, etc.
>
>I've spoken with Michael Hirmke 1 hour ago and after a short
>discussion about this I would like to ask:
>
>Is it needful to create another server with ported software?
>The ftp.franken.de server already contains _many_ packages and
>will contain them in future, too. This includes parts of the
>base distribution as well eg. the newest version of less.
>
>I'm already maintaining foreign packages (bc, cpio, ed, file,
>tcsh...) and own packages (cron, df, eject, fortune, mt...) but
>I'm using the franken server, of course.
>
>Additionally I would perhaps maintain sed and tar.

Well, I don't want to "step on Michael's toes" but it makes sense to me
to have the cygwin site hold the definitive cygwin software ports.  I
think I asked him a while ago if he would like to maintain a ported
directory at the cygnus site but I think he responded that he was too
busy.  I could be mixing him up with somebody else, though.

I think that his site is actually filling in a gap where we are not doing
a good job.  That's ok, but I'd like to be doing a better job.  Right
now people are constantly asking for software that they can easily
download from his site.  I think that shows that people are expecting
to find software at sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin and are confused when
it is not there.

I'm not sure what the best way to work this out would be.  I'm obviously
trying to make this a community effort so it doesn't make sense to
alienate the productive members of the community.

I'm open to suggestions...