Trapping the Win32 API path functions

It has occurred to me that we could trap the Win32 functions
which understand paths and slip Cygwin style paths in there.

At the most trivial, we could make a front-end for kernel32.dll
although I'm sure it wouldn't be that easy.

That would allow much greater functionality for non-cygwin
applications.  So, you could do something like:

notepad /etc/termcap

or

javac //d/foo/var.j

(Hmm.  I wonder why I thought of that example)

Is this crazy?  Anyone interested in doing this?