Re: next net release preview

>>> On 25 Feb 2000 01:16:56 +0900
>>> Kazuhiro Fujieda <fujieda@jaist.ac.jp> said:

> > Please download and review it, and post comments here.
>
> Many commands are build to read files in the directories below
> `/usr/share'.  Will the installer come to install them in the
> directories directly ?

I try to change the point at issue.

Many commands are build to directly read files in the
directories below `/usr/share'.

In the README file, DJ writes someting like that users may be
able to choose an arbitrary "cygwin root" directory. But users
can only choose the real root directory as the cygwin root
without any additional operations.

If an user choose `C:\cygwin' as the root, he/she have to mount
`C:\cygwin\usr' on `/usr'.

But '/usr/local' has been already used by various packages on
the `Franken Archives' or the `Utilities for Cygwin' as their
prefix directory. This mount hides the 'local' directory.  So
he/she has to mount some of directories under `C:\cygwin\usr'
under `/usr' one by one.

My proposal is that all packages included in the net release
should be built with the '/cygwin' directory as their prefix
directory.

If so, users can easily choose an arbitrary "cygwin root"
directory. If an user choose 'C:\cygwin-1.1' as the root, what
he/she has to do is to mount 'C:\cygwin-1.1' on '/cygwin'.

If another user choose the 'C:\usr' directory as the cygwin
root, what she/he has to do is to mount 'C:\usr' on `/cygwin'.
This affects nothing on packages with `/usr/local' as their
prefix directory.
____
  | AIST      Kazuhiro Fujieda <fujieda@jaist.ac.jp>
  | HOKURIKU  School of Information Science
o_/ 1990      Japan Advanced Institute of Science and Technology