Re: setup.exe questions

At 04:27 PM 2/29/00, Glenn Spell wrote:
>On 29 Feb 2000 around 12:46PM (-0800) Earnie Boyd wrote:
>
> > --- Corinna Vinschen <corinna@vinschen.de> wrote:
> >
> > > IMHO it would be a good idea to support copying some example
> > > scripts to the HOME dir as it's done similar when creating a new
> > > user in some Linux distributions. That would be very convenient
> > > for the normal user. I'm thinking of sth. like .profile, .cshrc,
> > > .vimrc etc.
> >
> > Good idea, except call them sample.profile, sample.cshrc, etc.
>
>I suggest calling them .profile, .cshrc, etc... and that they be
>expected to work as installed. In other words, they should be
>installed as default resources not examples. They should be commented
>throughly so the user can follow what they do. Any action by the user
>should be to change the defaults not install sample files.

If we're going to do this, then putting these files in better be an option
(and probably better to default to off!)  I certainly wouldn't be happy if
my .profile, .cshrc, .vimrc, etc. got overwritten just because I decided to
do an install.  Neither will other than first time users...

                                        (508) 560-1285 - cell phone