Re: setup.exe questions

At 05:32 PM 2/29/00, Glenn Spell wrote:
>On 29 Feb 2000 around 4:49PM (-0500) Larry Hall (RFK Partners,
>Inc) wrote:
>
> > At 04:27 PM 2/29/00, Glenn Spell wrote:
> >
> > >I suggest calling them .profile, .cshrc, etc... and that they be
> > >expected to work as installed.
> >
> > If we're going to do this, then putting these files in better be
> > an option (and probably better to default to off!)  I certainly
> > wouldn't be happy if my .profile, .cshrc, .vimrc, etc. got
> > overwritten just because I decided to do an install.  Neither will
> > other than first time users...
>
>I didn't realize the install routine would be or do an
>upgrade... that's different. I wouldn't expect the install routine to
>consider the quirks of my previous install and my deviations from any
>standards.  In fact, I wouldn't want the install to touch my previous
>install.  I'd make a totally new install and then change that to my
>personal preferences.
>
>If the installer does upgrades, different options should be used.
>
>-glenn

If you're going to toss out the option of being able to use the install
procedure to update an existing installation, then your suggestion has
more merit.  However, I think it will be counter-intuitive to most that
the install cannot be used to "upgrade" and prohibiting this option makes
the installer much less useful.  If the installer is only good
for first time installers (unless you're careful), we're going to see
more mail on this list about problems with the installer.  I'm not sure
what the general intent of the installer is but if this is it, I'd rather
not see one...

Larry