Re: fcntl(f, F_SETLK, &fl) problem on Cygwin 1.1.8(0.34/3/2)

>>> On Sat, 3 Mar 2001 02:13:42 +0100 (MET)
>>> Joerg Schilling <schilling@fokus.gmd.de> said:

> VED (and similar nvi) does record locking of edited files by first
> opening the file with O_RDWR and applying a record lock. Then it opens
> the the file for reading and reads the file into the buffer.
>
> This definitely does not work with Cygwin on Win ME.
>
> -	Will this work on Win NT ?

No. The locking semantics in Cygwin is completely different from
UNIX.  A lock is acquired by a file descriptor, not by a process.
This is the semantics of LockFile or LockFileEx invoked by the
Cygwin DLL.

> But then there should definitely a fix in cygwin or a hint in the FAQ.

I think such a troublesome locking mechanism should be eliminated
from the Cygwin DLL or should be noted by a document.
____
  | AIST      Kazuhiro Fujieda <fujieda@jaist.ac.jp>
  | HOKURIKU  School of Information Science
o_/ 1990      Japan Advanced Institute of Science and Technology