Re: handle protection - please comment

On Wed, Apr 18, 2001 at 08:50:20PM +0400, egor duda wrote:
> CV> Uhm, ok, but from my point of view it's an academic problem.
> CV> The PROCESS_DUP_HANDLE permission on a process handle does _not_
> CV> open up the other handles of a process if the access rights of
> CV> these handles are set using appropriate values.
>
> not academic, but rather practical. unfortunately. here's the
> demonstration.
>
> CV> For example process A has a handle H with ALL_ACCESS for the user
> CV> of A and with R/O for the world. Giving it's process handle to
> CV> process B of another user doesn't allow suddenly R/W access to
> CV> process B. The user of B doesn't have that permission. So he's
> CV> stuck at that point. It's in the responsibility of process A not
> CV> to open up it's resources to others.
>
> gcc -o /tmp/t.exe t.c
>
> from admin account:
> $ echo "secret info" > /tmp/secret
> $ chmod 600 /tmp/secret
>
> from normal user account start /tmp/t.exe
> it'll print 'slave pid=<some pid>'
> and blocks waiting for input.
>
> then switch to admin account and run '/tmp/t.exe <slave_pid>'
> it'll print 'master handle=<handle1> object handle=<handle2>'
>
> switch back to client account and input <handle1> and <handle2>
> values.
>
> now look what /tmp/secret contains.

I didn't test it but I assume it contains "Kaboom!". Hmm. I'm somewhat
distressed about that result. So the secure way to get a handle to any
shared object is by accessing it using names as suggested by Robert.
This doesn't apply to parent/child relations, obviously.

RC> The thing egor as talking about was child process's needing to read the
RC> parents open handles, and that programs than setuid are apparently
RC> setting the perms to everyone, all to allow the child process with it's
RC> different uid to read the handles. He was proposing a server model,

Wouldn't that problem (which originally was related to ttys) be resolved
if the master cares for the duplication?

Red Hat, Inc.