Re: I guess I'm giving up on the "experiment"

At 12:36 PM 5/16/2001, you wrote:
>On Wed, May 16, 2001 at 11:35:06AM -0400, Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) wrote:
> >Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 11:35:06 -0400
> >To: cygwin-developers@cygwin.com
> >From: "Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)" <lhall@rfk.com>
> >Subject: Re: I guess I'm giving up on the "experiment"
> >
> >At 07:05 PM 5/15/2001, you wrote:
> >>I'm going to go back to responding to email.  I'll be ramping up in the
> >>next few days but I hope that I will be able to curb my knee-jerk
> >>posting response and let other people fill the void or, ideally, let
> >>people figure things out for themselves.  There has been been some small
> >>evidence of that.
> >
> >Why are you stopping the "experiment" now?  Just curiuos.
>
>I have been feeling bad about not responding to people with valid
>concerns.  And, I felt the need to justify my response to the mount
>output question...
>
>I don't plan on being very prolific but do you think it is worth continuing?
>Maybe I just had a moment of weakness.

No, I have no problem with your reasoning for stopping the experiment.
There have been times where I felt the need to restrain myself from
responding as well.  And sometimes I felt bad about it too!  I also didn't
have an issue with the reasonings for starting the experiment or in
participating in it.  In terms of whether I (personally) feel its worthwhile
to continue or terminate it, its unclear.  How important is it that we reduce
the traffic on the list?  Is it just an annoyance to those of us that monitor
it or is it an issue for Red Hat as well?  Was the point of the experiment to
measure how many newbies and the like would find answers on their own if
need-be or was it to measure how many folks could be coaxed into not
responding to email in an attempt to mitigate duplicate replies to the same
question?  Or was there another cycle we were trying to break?  I guess I'm
just not quite sure what the overall goal of the experiment was, so its hard
for me to offer an opinion on whether its end is premature.  Regardless, I was
happy to participate, considering that the ultimate goal was to make the list
better for all (I think ;-) )!